In last week’s blog we detailed the newest service available here at the clinic, The Functional Movement Screen, or FMS. The Buckingham Clinic is a fully certified FMS clinic offering functional movement screening and advanced corrective exercise prescription. The functional movement systems can offer substantial benefits to both teams or individuals alike looking to improve performance and/or to reduce the likelihood of future injuries.
The movement screen can be applied in a multitude of fitness and clinical settings which is the real beauty of it as there is minimal equipment and space required to carry out the screening process. At the clinic the FMS is carried out in a fully functional gymnasium.
This week we will talk more about who can use the FMS, how it can help you and what a Functional Movement Screen can involve.
Who can use the FMS?
- Clients, patients or teams who are looking to increase their physical capacity and maximise potential.
- Clients or patients on discharge from treatment who are wanting return to their sport or activity with peace of mind that there are ready.
- Athletes wanting to improve functional and athletic performance and reduce risk of injury.
- Sports teams wanting to improve athlete functional performance and reduce risk of injury rate and recurrence of common injuries within their chosen sport.
- Anyone looking to improve their movement capabilities in everyday life or activity, therefore making the changes to sustain and extend movement quality later on in life.
The functional movement screen can help….
- Create a baseline for movement which can be measured, addressed and improved.
- Changing basic motor patterns which could increase skill level with athletic performance.
- Reliable and reproducible screen with specific markers for movement problems
- Identify and address physical imbalances, limitations, and weaknesses within the body.
- Restore and improve optimal movement required for fitness and athletic performance
- Personalize and tailor a fitness plan for moving forward.
- Individualize training and conditioning programs for specific results
- Identify and highlight movement compensations which could contribute to the cause of sports injuries.
- Improve fundamental movement patterns with simple corrective exercises
What Will Having A Functional Movement Screen Involve?
The process is reasonably straight forward:
- The Sports Therapist will take a short case history to gain some insight into your current lifestyle and musculoskeletal health.
- You will be asked to identify some goals as to what you would like to achieve following the functional movement screen.
- The therapist will take you through series of 7 tests which will challenge and assess your balance, stability and mobility.
- The therapist will discuss with you your results and from them your strengths, weaknesses and areas of restriction relating to the functional movement screen.
- The person participating in the screen will receive a 10-page pdf report with the test results and how to interpret the report.
- The therapist will devise a personalised exercise program for you that will address any stability, mobility or balance issues identified from the functional movement screen.
- The functional movement screen takes 45-60 minutes.
- Please make sure you bring along some loose-fitting clothing and appropriate footwear for the functional movement screen.
Please get in touch directly if you would like to know more about the FMS, or the process as carried out at the Buckingham Clinic.
Functional Movement Screen – Move Well Move Often